Last updated December 6th, 2023 06:05
WordPress is a very popular open-source platform for managing websites, currently used on more than 40% of all websites on the internet. When talking about WordPress, we often come across two different terms – specifically, “WordPress.com” and “WordPress.org“. These two terms refer to two different platforms, each with their own distinct features, functions, and usage methods. In this article, we will look at the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, as they are crucial to understand.
WordPress.com is an online website hosting service offered by Automattic, the company behind the development of WordPress itself. It is a fully managed platform, which means that you don’t install or manage WordPress yourself. WordPress.com offers various levels of service, both free and paid.
The free version of WordPress.com offers limited features and tools, and is suitable for small and simple websites. With the free plan, you have limited customization options, and can only use a limited number of plugins or templates.
For larger web projects or for full control over your website, you can purchase one of the paid plans, which offer advanced features, more storage, and a custom domain.
The individual plans that are offered can be divided as follows:
- Free Plan – This plan is free and offers basic features to create a website, including 3 GB of storage, basic templates and plugins, WordPress.com ads, and a custom subdomain.
- Personal – This plan costs $4/month and offers 6 GB of storage, a custom domain, the ability to remove ads on WordPress.com, and email support.
- Premium – Here you pay $9/month, for which you get 13 GB of storage, advanced analysis tools, the ability to use custom plugins and templates, customizable CSS, and support is provided via both email and chat.
- Business – This plan costs $25/month and offers 200 GB of storage, unlimited plugins and templates, an application firewall (WAF), CDN for better website performance from multiple locations, faster server hosting, DDOS protection, and much more.
- Commerce – With this plan, you’ll be paying $45/month and it offers all the features of the Business plan, plus advanced e-commerce tools such as the ability to create your own products and offerings, online payment gateways, support for shopping carts, and more. The data capacity is the same as that of the Business plan, i.e. 200 GB.
Opposite to the above, WordPress.org is the official website where you can download and install WordPress on your own hosting server with any web service provider. It is standalone software that you need to download first, upload it to a web server, and install. Managing this WordPress is also up to you, including its security. WordPress.org offers unlimited customization options for your website and allows you to use any available plugins and templates. Your limitations are only the performance and configuration of the server or website you use.
As a standalone platform, WordPress.org requires more technical know-how than WordPress.com. You have to arrange your own hosting server (or use traditional shared web hosting) where you will host WordPress, and you will need to ensure your own domain and DNS server and record management. This can be challenging, especially for users who have no experience in website creation. On the other hand, if you are experienced WordPress users, you will most likely benefit from this option.
Difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? Conclusion
Now you know the significant difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org services. Each option has its pros and cons. It is up to you whether you take advantage of the convenience and let WordPress.com manage your website, or try your own web development and use the software package from WordPress.org and arrange web hosting and domain yourself.
More content about WordPress
The website is created with care for the included information. I strive to provide high-quality and useful content that helps or inspires others. If you are satisfied with my work and would like to support me, you can do so through simple options.
Je mi líto, že pro Vás nebyl článek užitečný.
Jak mohu vylepšit článek?
Řekněte mi, jak jej mohu zlepšit.